“Sarcasm. Just one of the many free services I offer."
- Unknown Smartass Lady at Ridgmar Mall

Monday, September 12, 2011

Dreamy Edger Drama...

Everyone has something they love/tolerate and also despise as far as household chores go. I hate the dishwasher. I have determined that it takes approximately 3 1/2 minutes to unload my dishwasher, however, I absolutely hate those 3 1/2 minutes. To make matters worse I do it AT LEAST once a day, usually more like 2 or 3. I have tried to make an effort to eat at home more (since I work from home part-time), which not only saves money, but also increases valuable conversations time at dinner, more quality time with my kids and hubby, ...blah, blah, blah.... BUT IT ALSO MAKES MORE DIRTY DISHES FOR ME. I know all about paper plates but I feel like a hippocrit throwing them in the trash and I can't really recycle them, even if they are paper, since my recycle bucket is in the garage and attracts bugs, dogs, etc... Yes, I do make my kids clean up occasionally but their idea of efficient dishwasher loading and mine are worlds apart. The old saying of "If you want it done right, don't ask your kids to do it" reigns King at my house. Or better yet, if I want the dishes to get clean the first time and not be pissy when I go to bed, just suck it up and get it done.

As far as "love" a chore, I use this term loosely. Some of you may remember my abhorrence for my old mower, which has recently been replaced by the same but newer model - much to my happiness. I have not yet fallen in love with my new mower but it certainly has moved lightyears above the dishwasher. I will say that today, I renewed my love for my edger. I call it "my edger" due to the purchase of a new blade (9") to replace the old one (6 1/2") that now makes it function like it should. I figure if you service it, use it and maintain it, it is yours to claim. For those of you who are not trained in the mechanics of edging, let me tell you this: if the blade is almost 3" short of normal, you are wasting your time. There is no grass being cut, just a lot of sweating for no good reason. I think I inherited this edger from my parents after college or marriage (both seem like eons ago) but I guarantee it is over 25 years old. My now favorite outside appliance has gained super-duper utility status again today as once I put the choke in the full and open position, she fired right up. I love it! No bulb to pump, nothing to prime, just a rope to pull that seemed to only need massaging 2 or 3 times. No pulled back, neck or shoulder muscles this time. Sweet!! We are rockin' and rollin' now, with only a few sparks from my minor skirmishes with the concrete. I can say though, that those touches with the concrete will rival any dentist drill as far as making your brain shake in your skull.

As for a workout - no so much really, just some slow walking.But I do have a lot of respect for my edger. How can you not when there is a 9 x 2 x 1/4 inch thick metal spinning blade that could at any time fly off and land in my head? I have seen enough creepy halloween movies with the guy and a saw blade sticking out of his eye to know that the outlook would not be good. I am guessing my Physical Therapist friend would tell me there is no PT available for that!

As for my latest accomplishment when it comes to chores, it happened tonight about 7:30. After edging my entire driveway and front sidewalk, I had to use a shovel and broom to remove the extra grass. My 10 year old daughter happened by and was decidedly moody and gripey about something trivial so I put her to work. I started up the blower (another favorite tool) and put her to work cleaning off the driveway. She didn't make it too long carrying it around with one arm, but it did shut her up for a while about having nothing to do. Be nice now and don't get me started on the blower. I am sure my husband will have some choice comments as far as the blower is concerned but that is for another type of forum!

Here's to your 9 inches!
Mower Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment